Once upon a time...

Once upon a time...

Saturday, June 28, 2008

Bonnie's Birthday Extravaganza





It's a good thing I have a loving and tolerant (and forgiving) husband, especially when it comes to my birthday. When it comes to big events, I often struggle with the 'morning after blues'. I think I build things up so much in my mind that when they are over I'm left with a feeling kind of like, "What do you mean ,'that's it'?" At Christmas, we go see a funny movie after all the festivities are over. That gives me something to look forward to. It's not a huge, dark depression or anything, it's just that the roller coaster ride is over, and you have to get back to real life. At my birthday, i have found that the only way around the post-birthday-you-are-another-year-older doldrums is to carry out festivities equal to a small country's celebration of independance, or perhaps Chinese New Year. Now, don't misunderstand me, I don't have an over-inflated sense of self importance. This is all for my mental well being. I won't list all the details, but Paul agreed to take me to this wonderfully tacky restaurant in Denver called Casa Bonita. Since we were already in town, my considerate husband talked me in to going to a gun show. They sell really great jewelry at those things! Who knew?! One night during the week of festivities, my parents and Paul and I took our three kids and my oldest brother Byrne's three kids to eat at the fabulous Texas Roadhouse! You should see the looks you get when you ask for a table with four adults and six kids! That was a party in and of itself. To top it all off, after unsupervised trips to Michaels and Hobby Lobby( I still can't seem to find those receipts!), my husband bought me a video camera that records right onto those cute little DVD's. Something I had asked for a long time ago. All in all it was a very successful, I mean happy, birthday. And,I don't feel the least upset about turning 26!

2 comments:

grandmabeth said...

I am so glad you've learned the secret to overcome the "birthday blues" make yourself a few years younger,that'll do it...and it works for me, also. I will be happy to go along with that story, mom.

Tricia said...

gotta love casa bonita!! and I totally want that camera....better lock it up next time I come out there to KS to visit you : )