Once upon a time...

Once upon a time...

Wednesday, November 14, 2007

my man, the oil guru

A lot of you might not know what Paul does at work, so here are some 'photies' he has sent me in the last few months. Growing up in Colorado, I never thought much about subsea drilling operations. Well, now I could tell you more than you ever want to know! Anyway, this is the helicopter Paul rides out to the rig...





and this is the rig. In a recent interview I conducted with Paul, he described his job as designing, refurbishing, and installing subsea equipment up to 6,000 feet deep.(what he actually said was, "I'm a subsea guru".) He has worked 11 years on 5 continents in I-don't-know-how-many-different jobs. His last job was in 'block 15' Kizomba, Angola, on the west coast of Africa. When completed it will be the world's largest subsea development with 190 Christmas Trees on the ocean floor (you'll need to google that, I don't understand that whole ordeal)! I asked how much oil they got every day, and he said if I were to publish that, he would lose his job and we would be sued, so I guess you'll need to google that too! Right now he's in Texas working on the most advanced semi-submersible (google) rig. The coolest, or most famous, place he's worked was at the Harlan & Wolff shipyard in Belfast, Ireland, where the Titanic was built. He says it's a lot of hard work and the days are really long. He called me once before going to bed and he had been awake for about 36 hours. The rigs can be very dangerous for everybody out there. There are huge moving parts that weigh several tons each, not to mention the possibilities of malaria or freezing cold water in the ocean below, depending on what part of the world you're in. I know it's a lot of hard work, but when he's gone for four weeks at a time and I'm here with three kids and all this work to do, there's only one image in my mind.





1 comment:

Tricia said...

Tooo funny, that pic with the roller coster!! Very interesting to learn about Paul's job. Will be googling later tonight!! : )